How to Make an Ugly Christmas Sweater – DIY Tips
So you’ve been invited to an ugly Christmas sweater party but there’s one problem…you don’t have anything to wear. If there isn’t enough time for you to purchase an awesome sweater from UglyChristmasSweater.com and have it conveniently delivered to your home, there’s always the option of making your own. It just requires a bit of creativity, thriftiness, humor, and imagination. Here’s how I made my own ugly Christmas sweater for less than $10.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Felt sheets – red, brown, white, black
- Old sweater (If you don’t have an old sweater to use, you can go to the thrift store and buy an inexpensive one. I found mine for 50 cents.)
- Loose pompom balls – white
- Large glitter pompom balls – gold
- Green string of pompom balls
- Grosgrain or silk ribbon – brown or tan
- Fabric paint – red and green
- Plastic Easter egg – tan
- Red sharpie pen
- Red pipe cleaner
- Small jingle bells
- Optional: Sticky gift box buttons (I found these on clearance at Michael’s for 70 cents)
- Lay your sweater on a flat surface.
- If you found some sticky gift box buttons, you can paste them along the middle of the sweater.
- Cut out a shape of a Christmas stocking with the red felt. Then use the hot glue gun to stick white pompom balls along the top.
- Write “Ho Ho Ho” on the stocking with green fabric paint.
- Using your white felt, cut out candy canes and paint red stripes on them.
- Glue the candy canes onto the Christmas stocking you just made.
- Take the brown felt and cut a reindeer-shaped head.
- Cut out white ovals and black circles with felt for the eyes. Glue them onto the reindeer head.
- Take the top half of the plastic Easter egg and color the tip with a red sharpie pen. This will be the reindeer’s nose.
- Glue the nose onto the head.
- Cut out antlers from the brown/tan ribbon and hot glue it onto the head.
- Take the red pipe cleaner and run about 5 jingle bells through it.
- Bend the pipe cleaner so that it looks like a collar and glue it underneath the reindeer head.
- Hot glue the Christmas stocking and the reindeer head onto the sweater.
- Glue the glitter pompoms onto the sweater
- Take the green string of pompoms and glue a piece of it along the neckline of the sweater.
- Do the same with the cuffs of the sleeves. With the leftover pompom string, cut out individual pompoms and glue them randomly onto the sweater.
- Put on your ugly Christmas sweater and hit the party!